Saturday 31 March 2012

Puzzling

Sometimes I wish I either understood Japanese better, or I was still playing the English translation of "LovePlus". Today was a bit puzzling and frustrating.

When I started the game this morning and scheduled my activities, I saw that I had an Event in the third time slot. Of course I was excited about this, because my last two Events have been 1) Rinko cooking Ramen for me, and 2) Rinko giving me the matching watches as an Anniversary gift. So of course, I expected a lot today, too.

When the 3:00pm eventually rolled around, I was having a late lunch at my local Sushi Train and had to take out my 3DS in public and see what was happening with the big event. All that happened was that Rinko walked home with me in the rain, and talked about something. I have no idea what. And that seems to have been the end of the event.

OK, so I'm a bit puzzled. Was she planning to do something special but it was raining and she couldn't go? Did something else go wrong????? Man, I wish I knew. I was so worried that I called her up an hour or so later and met her quickly at Dixies (which I've unlocked now).


The meeting turned out to be a bad idea, because she asked me a question that I wasn't familiar with, and it had five different responses which I didn't understand either. So out of desperation I picked the first one, which in "LovePlus" is usually a pretty safe option. Then nothing happened again, and we walked home. Rinko seemed okay, but I couldn't even kiss her because she was holding her umbrella and it was raining.

Oh well. I still have the date with her tomorrow afternoon and a CD for a gift. Trouble is I only have 7 activity points left for the day, so I'm pretty much screwed.

All of this reminds me of how much I enjoyed the patched English version, and how frustrating it is that I don't know enough Japanese!!!!!!!!

Postscript
But you know, I just walked away for half an hour and realised something. The frustration is part of the simulation too. I mean, think about it. In real life and real relationships, you have days when you don't know what the hell is going on, or what the other person is thinking. So I guess to "get" the total experience of "LovePlus" is to be frustrated sometimes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment