Thursday 1 March 2012

The Arrival

Didn't sleep at all last night - but now I'm PLAYING LOVEPLUS ON DS! The patched English version is great, and seems to run fine. I've done about ten days of gameplay, trying to focus on winning Rinko as my girlfriend. The game is divided into two parts. In the first part, you meet the three girls and you have 100 days to win the affections of one girl and get her to confess to you. After that, you enter the second half of the game, which is free-form and consists basically of maintaining your relationship with the girl by dating, gifts, kissing etc.

But then at 8:30am, a mere four days after placing my order for the Rinko limited edition box set, I was so excited when this MASSIVE box arrived by EMS:



And here's my first peek inside the box. At the top is the huge wall poster; then you can see the four badges, the box containing the Rinko limited edition 3DS console and "New LovePlus" game, and the 2-disc original soundtrack.


But wait, there's more! A flyer about the "LovePlus" Visa card, as well as a cool folder to keep your AR (Augmented Reality) cards in.


When you finish unpacking the main shipping box, here's what you get. The box on the far left contains the four limited edition art books. You can also see the 3DS battery at the bottom, which had been removed for shipping. I hate to use the cliche, "only in Japan...", but it's true in this case. Only in Japan would you see such care lavished on the release of a Nintendo game - and remember, this set is one of THREE limited editions, released on the same day! I believe that only a few hundred of each set were made. They were so rare, in fact, that Konami held a series of raffles for fans in Japan to win one. I'm so lucky to have my Rinko set. And so poor...


Opening the box with the 3DS console inside, the first thing you see is the "New LovePlus" game cartridge.


Here I'm proudly holding the Rinko limited edition 3DS console. It's basically a normal 3DS with a custom front and back cover, reflective silver with a clear plastic outer shell, and a very cute picture of Rinko listening to her MP3 player.


And here's the inside of the Japanese 3DS, unpacked, battery installed and ready to go. I say ready to go, but there were a few tiny challenges before I'd be able to play the game. 3DS games are region-locked, which means in order to play "New LovePlus" you need a Japanese 3DS. No problems there, as I got this one with my box set...except there's no English language option. That's right - all the menus, even the most basic set-up, are in Japanese. Fortunately, I solved this by downloading the English 3DS manual from the Nintendo website, because all the screens and menu options are basically the same.


There was enough juice in the battery to perform a basic set up, but then the next challenge. The Japanese power supply is 110v, and our power here in Australia is 250v - so plugging it in to charge wasn't exactly a safe option. After a little research, I tracked down a handy power supply from our local games store which included a plug for 3DS and a handful of other games/phones/devices.


Here's the beautiful poster that comes with the Rinko limited edition. Very high quality paper suitable for framing. (The poster is different for each of the three sets.)


And here is a close-up of the pins. Konami made pins for each of the prefectures in Japan
 - I got the Rinko versions of Akita, Iwate, Fukushima and Miyagi. I think the idea was to trade with other collectors for the ones you want, but they're all adorably cute and feature something about the culture from each local area.


Last but by no means least are the art books, which are truly a joy to behold (and to unpack). Opening the lid of the cardboard box, you see Rinko's adorable face looking up from the sturdy collector's box.


The box is tied at the side with a blue silk ribbon, something like the tie of a school uniform.


When you untie the ribbon, the real wonders of this box set begin! Here's the full outside of the box:


And here's the inside, with a second silk ribbon (Rinko's signature colour green this time) securing the FOUR limited edition hard cover art books, as well as a couple of glossy double-sided A4 art cards.


There is one art book for each main girl in the game (Manaka, Rinko and Nene), as well as a fourth book featuring all three girls. The character designs and illustrations are by Mino-taro.


Wow, what an amazing experience, but I can't help feeling it was money well spent. Everything about this box set is the highest quality, and it would be impossible to get it any other way. Now all I need to do is keep working my way through playing the English patched version of "LovePlus" so that I'm ready to tackle the 3DS version. I'm willing to be patient. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment